He's a boy of many boy-interests: Cars (both the movie and Hot Wheels variety), Thomas the Train, and a variety of superheroes including Batman, Superman and his favourite pjs, Spiderman.
But, for his new bedroom, I went with Cars. I thought it would be pretty easy - especially after I found the quilt and pillow case on sale. Then I found some matching wallpaper border and some cool stickers for his walls. On eBay, I found a light switch cover (which ended up not being painted as I thought, but rather, covered with the fabric I ultimately found!). I was set, except for the window coverings. His beautiful valance that matched the bedskirt of his crib, just didn't cut it in a Cars room.
I searched on-line everywhere for anything Cars. No luck. But then my super-crafty friend, Christine, told me to head to Marshall's Discount Fabrics here in Edmonton.
I try not to be a snob, but really, Marshall's? Last time I went there the fabric appeared to be decades old and out of style. Plus, I thought the place smelled funny. But back then, I had a full-time paying job and didn't need "discount". Times have changed so off to Marshall's I headed.
While I didn't need a big fleece with Texas State, or Mississippi U covering it, what I found pleasantly surprised me. Who am I kidding? Surprise is such an understatement. What I found actually freaked me right out!! Licenced fabric spilling off the shelves: Thomas, Spiderman, Superman, Bob the Builder, John Deere - the list seems virtually endless. And, best of all, CARS!
When I showed Eamon the Cars fabric, he grabbed it and said, "Let's buy it!". So off the cutting counter we went intoxicated by our exciting find. I bought just enough for a valance and a pillow case (discount in this case still meant $16/metre and not the $2.99 I'd hoped for).
Then I went looking for paint. Yikes. The bedding is grey/purple undertones and the fabric, decidedly beige. Oh well. I found a nice blue and just went for it. Anything beats the paint I used when we first moved in: beige, with pink undertones. That's been one of my bigger mistakes.
I finished the room and it seems to work. Most exciting of all, Eamon loves his "big boy" room.
![]() |
| Kids rooms look funny with everything on the bottom third of the walls, but what's the point of putting it higher if they can't see it? |
![]() |
| He loves his new room so much he even posed for me, twice! |


Grandpa and Grandma B. love Eamon's new big boy room! The valance fabric is sensational - a real find. VROOm!!!
ReplyDelete